The successful ‘Master Cleanse’ or lemon detox diet
(Healingtalks) The Master Cleanse as it is called been commonly used for at least half a century, though it got a huge life in popularity with Beyonce Knowles being associated and where it was called the Lemon Detox diet. This dietary approach helps to break toxins down in the body while helping to achieve a short-term weight loss. the diet also provides a holiday or vacation for the digestive system, allowing it to strengthen and heal.
History of the Master Cleanse
The originator of the diet, Stanley Burroughs, first recommended it for treating stomach ulcers in his work “The Master Cleanser.” Therein he shares how he first experimented with the Master Cleanse and with a patient who had stomach ulcers for several years. After eleven days on the diet, this patient was healed, stunning his doctors. Similar cases have followed and who also experienced a weight reduction.
Testimonial books have also uplifted the popularity of the diet, such as Tom Woloshyn’s work, “The Master Cleanse Experience”, published in 2009. The book lists expanded benefits to patients, including improved sleep, positive mental states with more clarity of mind and relief from addictions.
Preparing for the diet
In first time preparing for the Master Cleanse, Tom Woloshyn suggests a) knowing possible initial discomforts or side effects, not to be surprised and then quitting early and b) setting a goal of what you want to accomplish, such as detoxing, a certain level of weight loss, getting rid of brain fog and so on. A vegetarian or vegan diet is also a good preparatory step, making the transition less stressful on the body and mind. Taking extra B-vitamins can help is there is going to be a caffeine withdrawal and to mitigate headaches. Those who have undergone recent organ transplants or have taken powerful immune suppressant drugs should be cautious – as the cleanse can quickly release toxins and can inhibit the working of some drugs (such as using in preventing organ transplant rejection) which the body treats as a toxin.
Steps in doing the Master Cleanse
This diet involves the following:
- Drink freshly-made lemonade and with the following included: the juice of lemons, pure maple syrup, a little pinch of cayenne pepper and pure water. This lemonade is then consumed exclusively and for a minimum of 10 days. One has to drink six to twelve glasses eight ounce glasses a day, spaced throughout each day or when hunger arises.
- A laxative can be consumed in the am and pm and to trigger at least three bowel movements a day.
- Alternative – Those suffering from fungal diseases or candida should use a sugar substitute that does not trigger a flowering of these ailments.
This is the original recipe of Burrough’s
- 2 (tbs). of lemon or lime
- 2 (tbs). of genuine maple syrup
- 1/10 tsp cayenne pepper
- 10 oz. water (hot or cold as preferred)
Breaking the Master Cleanse
The breaking of the fast is as important as maintaining it. Otherwise the benefits may be lessened. Here is the prescription, to be slowly introduced:
- Day one of breaking the fast, slowly introduce orange juice.
- Day two, introduce vegetable broths.
- Day three, add fruits and vegetables, not overeating
- Day four, ease back into a normal diet.