Controlling food cravings – 10 ways to comfort yourself without food
Ten ways to stop food cravings or comfort yourself without food
By Nathan Batalion, PhD, Naturopath, Triathlete
(Healingtalks) To stop food cravings can be a challenge for most anyone. Sometimes we lose control under stressful conditions or just being addicted to certain foods we crave the most. Or we may, at times, become simply hungry, grabbing the firs food morsel in sight. There can be many reasons why we crave certain specific foods. Among the most addictive foods are those high in fat, sugar, and salt, along with certain additives like MSG. Thus it helps to find alternative means to comfort ourselves without resorting to food binges that leave us feeling either sick or guilty!
So how can we control food cravings and comfort ourselves without food. . . .here are the ten great ways:
- Try chewing something like a piece of gum, licorice or seaweed.
ENGAGE YOUR MIND PLAYFULLY
- Play a board or video game.
- Pick up an engrossing book or magazine.
- Bring your mind the present and into a peaceful state.
SLOW DOWN AND GET COMFORTABLE
- Try changing into more comfortable clothes and laying down or settling down into an easy chair.
LISTEN TO SOOTHING MUSIC
- Play a piece of relaxing music or meditative sounds.
- Drink water, lemon water, juice, warm relaxing tea, or sip a liquid broth. Various fluid intakes can be an alternative to a heavy meals.
GIVE YOURSELF A MASSAGE
- Give yourself a gentle massage all over.
USE ESSENTIAL OILS
- Scents can powerfully change moods. Aromatherapy can be deeply healing or at least soothing.
- Look at artwork or a picture which makes you smile, laugh, or feel at peace.
- You may think of other ways, uniquely helping you relax and quiet those cravings, from Epson salt baths, going jogging, doing yoga, taking a deep breath, a power nap, or standing on your head. Thus to lose those nagging food cravings…. go do it!