Negative Impact of Modern Technology on Children’s and Adults’ Health
Harmful Effects of Technology on Adults and Children / Healing Talks
Harmful Effects of Technology on Physical Health
The harmful effects of technology on children and adult’s health is significant. Spending extended periods of time in a sedentary way can lead to several long-term health problems, both physical and psychological. Some of the most common physical health related issues include:
- Weight Issues – Lack of large muscle movements slows the metabolic rate, promoting conditions of being overweight and obese.
- Muscles -some may atrophy from a sedentary lifestyle, impacting a person’s strength.
- Posture – may be implicated because modern technology can be used while sitting, laying down or hunched over. One may develop headaches or neck and back pains.
- Senses – The overuse of headphones will, over time, affect your hearing. Spending too many hours staring at a screen may likewise affect your vision.
- Sleep – If a child or adult is using technology into the late hours, this can change their sleep patterns for the worse. Something as simple as the light from your computer’s screen can keep your brain active. Then it might be nearly impossible for you to catch sleep until you give it some time away from the stimuli.
Harmful Effects of Technology on Mental Health
The overexposure to technology may also cause psychological difficulties such as limiting creativity and sensory stimulation, which are very important in child development. Consider the following:
- Aggression and ADD – Video games have also been linked to heightened aggression in children and the development of attention deficit disorders (ADD).
- Isolation and decreased social skills – These are traits associated to the overuse of technology as watching TV, internet use or playing video games is more often than not, done alone.
- Addictive Behavior - Children and adults who are addicted to technology are also more likely to develop substance abuse problems given they are prone to addiction.
- Anxiety and Depression – The overuse of technology can also create a sense of detachment between the individual and the real world, which can then produce symptoms of anxiety and depression.
Technology doesn’t have to have a negative impact on yours or your child’s health. If you set boundaries and rules for technology usage you can go on to living a normal and healthy life.
For some great ideas on how to ensure the health and e-safety of your children, check out Quib.ly: a website dedicated to helping parents stay in the loop on all the newest technologies their children are using. The website provides a forum for parents to ask and answer questions, creating a community of informants all working towards the same goal of keeping their children safe and healthy in this world.
- State of Our Health – Sick Children
- Invisible IQ Lowering Drug – American Children Consume Daily
- GMO Baby Food Making Children Sick
Related Power Point