TEN KEY SCHOOL/HOME STRATEGIES FOR CHILDHOOD OBESITY
Over the past decades, local schools have been inundated by commercial influences, lowering standards. For example, they have brought in junk and fast food vending machines. To counter this, here are ten basic strategies that address the core problem and epidemic of childhood obesity:
1) “CSHP” - Develop a Coordinated School Health Program ( CSHP) to address both the amount of physical activity and the quality of school nutrition as it affects school obesity.
2) SCHOOL HEALTH COUNCIL – Designate a school health coordinator to maintain an active school health council.
3&4) POLICIES - First access the school’s health policies. Then develop both an enhanced school nutrition and physical activities policy to reduce obesity.
5) STAFF PROGRAMS - Implement and promote staff health programs so they can be a better example to those they teach.
6&7) COURSES - Develop a high-quality course in health education (one that puts a spotlight on the obesity crisis). Develop also a course in physical education.
8)PHYSICAL ACTIVITY – Increase opportunities and time for students and staff in engage in physical activities.
9) MEALS PROGRAM - Implement a high-quality school mean program with more raw-living, low-calorie, high-nutrition fruits and vegetables.
10) OFFER ADDITIONAL FOOD CHOICES OUTSIDE OF REG. MEALS – Give students more appealing health choices for foods and beverages, outside the official school meals program.
1) EVALUATE & ASSESS- Measure your children’s BMI or body mass index as well as waist size to determine whether your kids have an overweight or obesity problem.
2) WRITTEN STRATEGY & KEEP FEEDBACK NOTES – Develop a strategy of a) adding more fresh fruits and vegetables to the home diet, to the packed school snacks and b) increasing home physical activities.
3) ENCOURAGE HEALTHY SCHOOL CHOICES – Provide home support for children making healthy meal choices at school.
4) ENCOURAGE PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES - Provide support and transportation for kids to engage in more physical activities and sports.
5) MONITOR - Keep track of and further encourage BMI and waist measurement improvements.
Your children’s future health critically depends on YOUR ACTIVE PARTICIPATION in their lifestyle well-being!