Raw (Living Food) Vegan Sushi Recipe
HOW TO MAKE RAW (LIVING FOOD) VEGAN SUSHI
In the process of developing a sumptuous Raw Vegan Sushi recipe, we found that whole Sprouts could serve as a substitute for sushi rice but did not hold very well.
So improvising, we put a few handfuls of Mung Bean Sprouts in the food processor and this mixture stayed together quite well.
Here is our original raw vegan recipe:
INGREDIENTS FOR TWO DOZEN RAW VEGAN SUSHI
- Handful of Sprouted Mung Beans
- Handful of Sprouted Lentils
- 2 sticks Celery, sliced julienne
- ½ Cucumber, sliced julienne
- ¼ Red Onion sliced julienne
- 2 Avocados, sliced thickly
- 1-2 tbs Sauerkraut
- 4-5 Nori Sheets
- Pinch of Soy Sauce
- 1 tbs Sesame Seeds
- Pinch of Ginger, shredded
- (optional) – use a couple sliced Cherry Tomatoes, slices of Red Peppers or
Red Cabbage to add the respective flavors and vibrant color to your raw vegan sushi
- (optional) Handful of Chinese Cabbage Leaves for more of the oriental flavor
FURTHER RAW VEGAN SUSHI INSTRUCTIONS
- Pour the Sprouts into a food processor so that they make a thick paste. Add a dash of Sesame Oil and the shredded Ginger.
- Place the sheet of Nori, shiny side down (the perforations should run vertically), on a bamboo sushi mat.
- Spread the Mung Bean mixture onto the Nori. ( should cover slightly less than half the sheet and be about half a centimeter thick).
- Take a small amount of all the remaining ingredients and place them along the width of the nori and on top of the mung bean mixture.
- Allow for the Celery, Cucumber and Avocado to come over the sides slightly.
- The bamboo mat can now be used to roll the sushi. Leave a 1cm/ ½ inch or a slight edge at the end of the Nori to spread with water to hold it together.
- Then press down gently.
- Now cut the sushi into 2cm or about an inch pieces
Serve on a bed of green leaves, your choice, and garnished with further kinds of sprouts flavored with soy sauce ….and you are now ready to enjoy the best of raw vegan sushi!