Using dandelion to reverse cancers and much more
(Healingtalks) Dandelion is one of those foods I can really get excited about. It grows in a magnificent form, free and wild, in my back yard and front yard garden (no more lawns)…and has a tangy taste and is a super-powerhouse of nutrition. It has healing powers few know about, treating it as but a lowly weed to be poisoned.
The healing powers are also throughout the plant, using dandelion flowers, leaves, roots and stems to help us. There are versatile uses of the plant, such as to add to a salad, make dandelion tea infusions, dandelion wine, dandelion coffee, dandelion juices and dandelion blends.
You can “go wild” using the wild herb in great culinary ways.
Dandelion is a great addition to salads and soups. It can be used to make great dandelion tea infusions and a fabulous dandelion pesto. As a super-food addition to a meal, it offers the following:
- Host of raw, plant-based vitamins and minerals, especially potassium.
- Diuretic effects – to help the bile flow by emulsifying fats and to thus help cleanse the liver.
- Anti-cancer impacts – low and behold, dandelion also helps suppress and reverse cancers.
Scientific studies of dandelion
The studies are voluminous. See the resources section below. All these combined studies show the overall anti….oxidant, inflammatory, diabetic and cancer effects of dandelion as a super-food.
Dandelion Leaf and Root Teas
Here are a few studies that show the healing effects of dandelion tea:
- Dandelion leaf tea decreased breast and prostrate cancer cells- The International Journal of Oncology study published in 2008
- Positive effects of dandelion root tea on leukemia cells. – The Journal of Ethnopharmacology study published a study in January 2011.
- Suppression of prostate cancer cells - The International Journal of Oncology study published in 2011
- Plant, Herb Compound Prevents Brain Inflammation
- Four Master Keys to Natural Healing
- Benefits of a Raw Vegan Diet
How to wildcraft dandelions – dandelion leaves, stems and flowers
Emergency uses of Dandelion for muscle sores, warts, blisters, cuts and as a general skin health aide (using dandelion sap, teas and ointments):
- Pem State Health Information Library – Herbs/Dandelion
- How to Wildcraft Dandelion
- More Scientific Studies
- Cho SY,Park JY, Park EM, et al. Alternation of hepatic antioxidant enzyme activities and lipid profile in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats by supplementation of dandelion water extract. Clin Chim Acta. 2002;317(1-2):109-117.
- Clare BA, Conroy RS, Spelman K. The diuretic effect in human subjects of an extract of Taraxacum officinale folium over a single day. J Altern Complement Med. 2009 Aug;15(8):929-34.
- Hu C, Kitts DD. Antioxidant, prooxidant, and cytotoxic activities of solvent-fractionated dandelion (Taraxacum officinale) flower extracts in vitro. J Agric Food Chem. 2003;51(1):301-10.
- Hudec J, et al. Antioxidant capacity changes and phenolic profile of Echinacea purpea, nettle (Urtica dioica L.), and dandelion (Taraxacum officinale) after application of polyamine and phenolic biosynthesis regulators. J Agric Food Chem. 2007;55(14):5689-96.
- Jeon HJ, Kang HJ, Jung HJ, Kang YS, Lim CJ, Kim YM, Park EH. Anti-inflammatory activity of Taraxacum officinale. J Ethnopharmacol. 2008 Jan 4;115(1):82-8.
- Kim HM, Shin HY, Lim KH, el al., Taraxacum officinale inhibits tumor necrosis factor-alpha production from rat astrocytes. Immunopharmacol Immunotoxicol. 2000;22(3):519-30.
- Mascolo N, et al. Biological screening of Italian medicinal plants for anti-inflammatory activity. Phytotherapy Res. 1987:28-29.
- Petlevski R, Hadzija M, Slijepcevic M, Juretic D. Effect of ‘antidiabetis’ herbal preparation on serum glucose and fructosamine in NOD mice. J Ethnopharmacol. 2001;75(2-3):181-184.
- Sigstedt SC, Hooten CJ, Callewaert MC, Jenkins AR, et al. Evaluation of aqueous extracts of Taraxacum officinale on growth and invasion of breast and prostate cancer cells. Int J Oncol. 2008 May;32(5):1085-90.
- Swanston-Flatt SK, Day C, Flatt PR, Gould BJ, Bailey CJ. Glycaemic effects of traditional European plant treatments for diabetes. Studies in normal and streptozotocin diabetic mice. Diabetes Res. 1989;10(2):69-73.
Sweeney B, Vora M, Ulbricht C, Basch E. Evidence-based systematic review of dandelion (Taraxacum officinale) by Natural Standard Research Collaboration. J Herb Pharmacother. 2005;5(1):79-93.
- Trojanova I, Rada V, Kokoska L, Vlkova E. The bifidogenic effect of Taraxacum officinale root. Fitoterapia. 2004;75(7-8):760-3.
- Zhi X, Honda K, Ozaki K, Misugi T, Sumi T, Ishiko O. Dandelion T-1 extract up-regulates reproductive hormone receptor expression in mice. Int J Mol Med.2007;20(3):287-92.
What is dandelion, dandelion wine, dandelion tea, plant medicinal uses, dandelion greens, dandelion benefits, taraxacum officinale, dandelion recipes, dandelion flower, dandelion leaf, dandelions pictures, dandelion leaves, dandelion flowers, dandelion seed, dandelions flowers, dandelion coffee